Small Producers Initiative
COVID-19 Producer Resources
- $500 Emergency Relief Funding -- TOFGA, FarmAid, Federation of Southern Cooperatives and others
- TX Farmer Resources -- Sustainable Food Center
- Resources on farmers' markets, sanitary guidelines, and more -- Council for Healthy Food Systems
- TX farmer resources and support -- TOFGA
- National COVID-19 resources -- National Young Farmers Coalition
- Food Safety on the Farm -- UC Berkely
- Farmer Relief Fund -- American Farmland Trust
- FDA has temporarily increased flexibility on qualified exemption status of farmers under FSMA due to COVID-19 supply chain disruptions. Read more here.
**The 2020 Farm & Food Leadership Conference is now scheduled for October 26 & 27. The event is going virtual!**
- Conservation on Working Lands (3-part Webinar) - Learn about a new NRCS tool that helps the agency determine appropriate conservation activities and make funding decisions // Register at https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/711289874181944590
- Overview // Thurs, Sep 17th
- Process // Thurs, Sep 24th
- Deep Dive // Thurs, Oct 8th
Small Producers Initiative (SPI)
SPI is a program housed in the Department of Agricultural Sciences at Texas State University.
Our mission is to provide research, outreach, and extension to historically under-served small and mid-sized farmers and ranchers in Texas.
Small and mid-sized farms are defined as those with a gross cash farm income (GCFI) less than $499,999. This includes starter farms under 1 acre to ranches or farms of several hundred acres.
SPI is primarily funded by USDA grants. These grants provide critical funding for SPI to conduct research, outreach, and extension to the over 250,000 small producers in Texas. Some of SPI's activities include:
Conducting a Texas Small Producer Needs Assessment.
Hosting the Annual Small Producers Conference - for the past two years it has been the Farm & Food Leadership Conference. The conference includes workshops, seminars, and field visits. It connects small producers to USDA programs, technical experts, and other pertinent resources.
Hosting webinars on topics identified by small producers.
Creation and regular meetings of an Advisory Team to aid SPI in providing technical resources and educational opportunities, as well as evaluating program effectiveness.
Managing this website, social media, and a contact list of Texas small producers and small farm supporters.
You can find out more by visiting the About Us section.
La información nueva y actualizada vendrá pronto...
La pequeña iniciativa de productores está financiada por el USDA becas, tanto la subvención RURAL-V, otorgada por el Departamento de agricultura oficina de promoción y divulgación y la capacidad de concesión de tierra no de Estados Unidos
1. Un sitio web informativo (este sitio)
2. Seminarios de web sobre temas de interés para pequeños productores y grabados para reproducciones futuras
3. Tour de pequeñas facilidades de producción e investigación relacionadas a las pequeñas granjas de la región, y
4. La conferencia anual de productores pequeños que incluye talleres presenciales, seminarios y campo visitas además de conectar a pequeños productores a los programas de USDA, expertos técnicos y otros recursos pertinentes